PREP CLOSED/JC OPEN
Georgia Military College Prep School (grades 6 – 12) will be closed Monday, September 26 and Tuesday, September 27 per the governor’s request for fuel conservation (see below). GMC junior college will remain open. Additional changes will be made as necessary and will be posted to the website, www.gmc.cc.ga.us.
Friday, September 23, 2005 Contact: Office of Communications 404-651-7774
Governor Perdue Announces Fuel Conservation Actions
Governor Orders Alternative Work Schedules and Early Snow Days for Schools
ATLANTA –Governor Sonny Perdue announced today several immediate fuel conservation initiatives in anticipation of Hurricane Rita and the potential for temporary disruption of fuel supply in Georgia .
“In recent weeks, the nation has experienced temporary disruptions of gas supply as a result of Hurricane Katrina. While we cannot predict the future, we do know that effective conservation will be a reliable approach as we anticipate the effects of Hurricane Rita,” said Governor Sonny Perdue. “I\’m asking all Georgians to make a sincere effort to conserve gas, and the state of Georgia will lead by example.”
Today Governor Perdue announced the following immediate fuel conservation actions:
• The Governor signed an Executive Order eliminating non-essential state travel and requiring alternative work schedules or telecommuting for all state employees where possible. This can include four-day, ten-hour work schedules, telecommuting and other alternative work schedules for certain state employees.
• Governor Perdue asked all state school systems to take two “early snow days” on Monday, September 26 and Tuesday, September 27. By taking two early snow days, school systems will save more than 225,000 gallons of diesel fuel per day. Four consecutive days of school building closures, from Saturday to Tuesday, will allow further heating and cooling energy conservation.
• Governor Perdue asked local governments and businesses across Georgia to adopt active policies allowing employees to conserve fuel. He asked that alternative work schedules, telecommuting, and other conservation methods be implemented immediately. The Governor\’s Office is working to share conservation strategies with local governments and the business community.
• Governor Perdue encouraged private sector citizens to carpool. Citizens of metro Atlanta can log onto the web site of the Clean Air Campaign, www.cleanaircampaign.org , to find information on carpooling programs.
• Governor Perdue signed an Executive Order extending the relaxation of weight restrictions on fuel trucks coming into the state of Georgia from Florida . The Governor first announced that he would lift such restrictions on August 26, 2005. The extension will expire October 15.
• Governor Perdue announced that he is prepared to extend the enforcement of the price gouging controls beyond its expiration at the end of September, if necessary. The Governor signed an Executive Order to prevent price gouging on motor fuel on August 31, 2005, which will remain in effect until the end of September.
• Through the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD), Governor Perdue requested the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to issue an extension of waivers for gasoline regulations that require special additive gasoline in the summer months. Waiving this requirement will allow gasoline suppliers to bring available gasoline into Georgia to help alleviate shortages and keep prices to a minimum.
• The Georgia Environmental Facilities Authority (GEFA) is monitoring gas supply and helping to provide supply to law enforcement, emergency health services and schools .
# # #
Georgia Military College’s Partners Network Joins Forces with The Warrior Alliance to Support Warrior’s Educational Pursuits
Georgia Military College’s Partners Network Joins Forces with The Warrior Alliance to Support Warrior’s Educational Pursuits Georgia Military College (GMC) is pleased to announce its official partnership with The Warrior Alliance, a leading organization dedicated to supporting military veterans, also known as Warriors, and their families. This collaboration marks a significant step forward in GMC’s […]
The Honorable Brian Kemp, Governor of Georgia, Delivers Keynote Address at Georgia Military College Patriot Day Ceremony
The Honorable Brian Kemp, Governor of Georgia, Delivers Keynote Address at Georgia Military College Patriot Day Ceremony The Honorable Brian Kemp, Governor of Georgia, accompanied by First Lady Marty Kemp, served as the honored guest speaker at the Georgia Military College (GMC) 10th Annual Patriot Day Ceremony. This significant event took place on GMC’s Main […]
Georgia Military College Hosts Ceremony Honoring the Late Reverend Horace Ray, Sr. for Congressional Gold Medal Award
Georgia Military College Hosts Ceremony Honoring the Late Reverend Horace Ray, Sr. for Congressional Gold Medal Award Georgia Military College (GMC) proudly host a special ceremony to honor the Late Reverend Horace Ray, Sr., who will be posthumously awarded the prestigious Congressional Gold Medal by the National Montford Point Marine Association, Inc. in recognition of […]