Mission & Vision
The President’s Vision Statement
In its Vision 2029, GMC will be a nationally recognized leader in providing a character-based higher education, improving students’ personal well-being, and giving hope for a brighter future. The vision is achieved by being accessible to any student desiring a character-based college-level education, being the best two-year college in the state of Georgia and among the top five in the nation, being nationally recognized as a “best value” college, being recognized as a military-friendly school, being nationally recognized as a leader in the innovation and delivery of individual learning support services, being nationally recognized as a leader in the innovation of programs, and by increasing scholarship endowments to make education affordable.
Georgia Military College Mission
Georgia Military College builds on our military heritage grounded in our core values of Duty, Honor, and love of Country to provide hope and opportunity through individual growth and education of our students to develop their intellect and character as authentic servant leaders in an environment focused on elevating civility and respect for others.
GMC’s programs are guided by its strategic initiatives, otherwise known as “The Four Big Ideas”:
• Contribute to student success
• Create Pathways of Opportunities
• Think and act as one institution
• Invest in the future of Georgia Military College
A Unique Mission
The mission of Georgia Military College is to produce educated citizens and contributing members of society in an environment conducive to the development of the intellect and character of its students.
Key elements of the mission include:
- Producing contributing members of society;
- Providing hope for a better future;
- Providing an environment that develops the intellect and character of students;
- Providing opportunities and curriculum designed to develop character and ethical decision-making;
- Filling a critical gap in higher education as a liberal arts junior college supporting the attainment of an associate degree;
- Fulfilling our transfer mission with over 68% of our graduates transferring to a four-year institution to continue their education in the University System of Georgia;
- Providing pathways for Georgia technical college graduates to obtain a four-year degree through GMC’s Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) program;
- Serving as The Military Junior College of Georgia (one of only four in the Nation); and,
- Partnering with USMA, USNA, USAFA, and USCGA providing a challenging academic preparatory program for students to earn an appointment/acceptance to a U.S. Service Academy.
The focus of GMC is to provide a two year liberal arts degree with seamless transition and transfer to four-year institutions. GMC’s open admissions policy fills a critical gap in Georgia for students who do not meet the entry standards of other educational institutions. We achieve this focus because:
- GMC is accessible by being truly open admission and requiring only a GED;
- GMC is affordable by offering low tuition and various financial aid opportunities;
- GMC is a good partner with other Georgia institutions through articulation agreements – 51 agreements with four-year institutions to transfer credits; 44 of the agreements providing guaranteed acceptance;
- GMC is focused on student success by offering free tutoring and a robust student support program;
- GMC is student-centered by offering small class sizes – on average 13 students per class;
- GMC is student-friendly by offering flexible scheduling for working and non-traditional students through its quarter system (not semester);
- GMC is diverse and has been designated by the US Department of Education as an eligible “Predominantly Black Institution” with a student body that enrolls more than 43% African-American students; and,
- GMC is wide-reaching by providing military students, rural area students, and out-of-state students with opportunities to complete their degree through our Global Online Leadership College.
We’ve been educating bright minds for well over a century. That’s why a degree from GMC means more than just a great education. It means success.