GMC to host Patriot Day Ceremony
GMC to host annual Patriot Day ceremony
Georgia Military College Preparatory School will host a poignant ceremony in recognition of Patriot Day on Wednesday, September 11, 2019. The keynote speaker for the event will be Sergeant First Class Daniel J. Metzdorf, the first above the knee amputee to remain on active duty with the 82nd Airborne Division. Also attending will be NewDay USA, a military Veterans mortgage company. NewDay USA CEO, Rob Posner, will present scholarships to GMC Prep School students that have been directly affected by the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.
SFC Metzdorf has an inspiring story that he will share with both GMC Prep School students, and the GMC Corps of Cadets. In January 2004, SFC Metzdorf deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. On January 27, 2004, while on a routine night patrol 50 miles south of Baghdad, Iraq searching for enemy combatants, a roadside bomb exploded — killing three soldiers and severely wounding three, including SFC Metzdorf. His right leg was struck by flying debris, almost severing it instantly. His leg was amputated eight inches above the knee. He has since undergone 27 surgeries at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. After 3 Medical Review Boards SFC Metzdorf was the first above the knee amputee to remain on active duty with the 82nd Airborne Division. On Veterans Day 2004, SFC Metzdorf Re-Enlisted to stay with his unit in the 82nd Airborne Division.
Since retiring he has completed the New York City, Myrtle Beach and Miami marathons and selected as Airborne Man of the Year. He has been featured in Newsweek Magazine and on several television shows, including "The Early Show," "The Today Show" and "Lou Dobbs Tonight". He is the first above the knee amputee to remain on Active Duty with the 82ndAirborne Division. First amputee to become a “Golden Knight” with the US Army Parachute Team, Honorary Chief Petty Officer of the US Navy, motivational speaker and peer counselor to thousands of Soldiers and civilians.
SFC Metzdorf is one of the first amputees in the USA with the compress Osseointegration implant the newest in prosthetic innovation for military and Veteran amputees. This implant allows the amputee to connect the prosthetic device directly to the femur bone. SFC Metzdorf continues to work with doctors, surgeons, prosthetist, and engineers to help create the next level prosthetics for others. He also
continues to share his positive story through motivational speeches, and he will be giving several speeches during his visit at Georgia Military College. The community is invited to attend and participate in any portion of the day’s activities outlined below.
- Morning Formation on Grant Parade
- Remarks by Daniel J. Metzdorf, SFC, USA (Ret)
- Scholarship presentation awarded to GMC Prep students by NewDay USA
- Laying of a wreath by GMC Prep School students who have been directly affected by the lasting impact of September 11, 2001.
- “Memorial on Bricks” at the north end of the Old Capitol Building
- GMC will record the names of 3,025 people whose lives were taken through the act of terrorism on 9/11, and the names of 7,004 who have given their lives trying to stop it from happening again.
- Each of GMC’s Prep School students will have the opportunity to record the names of their fellow Americans and spend a few moments in reflection.
- Names will be provided to all who wish to join GMC in remembering.
- Wreath escorted by GMC Prep School Color Guard and Battalion Staff to north entrance of the Old Capitol Building
8:46 a.m. (When the plane struck the North Tower)
- Echoing Taps
- Members of the GMC Corps of Cadets will perform a 21 Gun Salute.
We hope to see you Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at GMC!
GMC Main Campus 801 Fire Rescue Scholarship
GMC Main Campus and Baldwin County Fire Rescue Announce the GMC 801 Fire Rescue Scholarship in Memory of Dwayne Morgan, GMC Prep ‘79 A beloved “Santa,” a man of faith and service, and friend to all, Dwayne Morgan will live on in the hearts of all who knew him; and now, future students will learn […]
GMC and NewDay USA break ground on Center for Leadership
Georgia Military College and NewDay USA announce partnership and break ground on NewDay USA Center for Leadership at Georgia Military College On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, Georgia Military College and NewDay USA broke ground on a new facility, the NewDay USA Center for Leadership at Georgia Military College. The GMC Board of Trustees approved the […]