State Service Scholarship Program:
Recognized by the Georgia General Assembly as an institution that produces outstanding young men and women who desire to serve our state and nation with honor and distinction, the State Service Scholarship program provides qualified Georgia Residents with a full scholarship to attend Georgia Military College as Cadets on the Corps of Cadets while serving part-time in the Georgia National Guard. The recipients of this extraordinary scholarship are selected for not only their academic abilities, but also their potential as future leaders in the Georgia National Guard. This program provides for up to 42 new full scholarship awards annually, based on state funding allocations. We accept new applications for any new term. (Except Summer Term)Students considering this program should fully understand their obligation to enlist and serve in either the Georgia Air or Army National Guard which requires successful completion of Army Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training (AIT) or Air Force Basic Military Training and Air Force Technical School to learn a selected job skill. After which they are required to serve a minimum of one weekend per month and a 15-day training period during the year ,typically as a member of a military unit while they attend GMC as a full-time cadet, living on the Milledgeville campus and participating in the Corps of Cadets program.
Benefits of this program include:
***NOTE: This is not a commissioning scholarship, but most cadets have the option to compete for an ROTC Scholarship at their follow on college or earn their commission here while attending GMC through the Early Commissioning Program (ECP).***
Requirements for the State Service Scholarship Program are:
- A $47,000 scholarship for a college education for the two years of attendance at GMC
- Military Drill Pay
- Training that can possibly translate into civilian job skills
- The honor of serving your community, state, and nation as a member of the Georgia National Guard
To apply for a State Service Scholarship, applicant must apply to GMC and download the application from the Georgia Student Finance Commission by clicking here, and follow the instructions on the first page
- Be a legal resident of Georgia for a minimum of 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the term at GMC which the student plans to enroll. (Based on HOPE residency requirements)
- Qualify for regular admission to GMC
- Have a minimum high school/college cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 and also have a minimum total score (Critical Reading and Math) of 800 on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), or Composite of 17 on the American College Test (ACT).
- Be of high moral character and demonstrate good citizenship as evidenced in a letter of recommendation from an administrative official of the high school where the applicant is enrolled at the time the application is made, or from which the applicant graduated.
- Meet standards required for enlistment in the Georgia National Guard
- Be nominated by your local State Representative of State Senator
- Be capable of participating fully in the structured cadet physical fitness and activities program.