Mission & Vision
The President’s Vision Statement
In its Vision 2029, GMC will be a nationally recognized leader providing a character-based higher education, improving students’ personal well-being and giving hope for a brighter future. The vision is achieved by being accessible to any student desiring a character-based college level education, being the best two-year college in the state of Georgia and among the top five in the nation, being nationally recognized as a “best value” college, being recognized as a military friendly school, being nationally recognized in the top ten fastest growing community colleges, being nationally recognized as a leader in the innovation and delivery of individual learning support services, being nationally recognized as a leader in the innovation of programs, and by increasing scholarship endowments to make education affordable.
The Complete GMC Board of Trustee-Approved Mission Statement
The mission of Georgia Military College (GMC) is to produce educated citizens and contributing members of society in an environment conducive to the development of the intellect and character of its students, regardless of location or method of delivery. College students are offered a liberal arts-based, two-year undergraduate curriculum designed to support student attainment of an associate degree and prepare students for transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Students with an associate of applied science degree are offered a curriculum designed to support student attainment of a Bachelor of Applied Science degree. For selected college students who enroll in the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), and preparatory school students in the Junior ROTC program, GMC includes a military training and education component.
Georgia Military College Restated Mission
The mission of Georgia Military College (GMC) is to produce educated citizens and contributing members of society in an environment conducive to the development of the intellect and character of its students. “Start Here…..Go Anywhere!”
GMC’s programs are guided by its strategic initiatives, otherwise known as “The Four Big Ideas”:
• Contribute to student success
• Grow enrollments
• Think and act as one institution
• Invest in the future of Georgia Military College
A Unique Mission
The mission of Georgia Military College (GMC) is to produce educated citizens and contributing members of society in an environment conducive to the development of the intellect and character of its students
Key elements of the mission include:
- Producing contributing members of society;
- Providing hope for a better future;
- Providing an environment that develops the intellect and character of students;
- Providing opportunities and curriculum designed to develop character and ethical decision making;
- Filling a critical gap in higher education as a liberal arts junior college supporting the attainment of an associate degree;
- Fulfilling our transfer mission with over 70% of our graduates transferring to a four year institution to continue their education in the University System of Georgia;
- Providing pathways for Georgia technical college graduates to obtain a four year degree through GMC’s Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) program;
- Serving as The Military Junior College of Georgia (one of only four in the Nation); and,
- Partnering with USMA, USNA, USAFA, and USCGA providing a challenging academic preparatory program for students to earn an appointment/acceptance to a U.S. Service Academy.
The focus of GMC is to provide a two year liberal arts degree with seamless transition and transfer to four year institutions. GMC’s open admissions policy fills a critical gap in Georgia for students who do not meet the entry standards of other educational institutions. We achieve this focus because:
- GMC is accessible by being truly open admission and requiring only a GED;
- GMC is affordable by offering low tuition and various financial aid opportunities;
- GMC is a good partner with other Georgia institutions through articulation agreements - 50 agreements with four year institutions to transfer credits; 44 of the agreements providing guaranteed acceptance;
- GMC is focused on student success by offering free tutoring and a robust student support program;
- GMC is student centered by offering small class sizes – on average 13 students per class;
- GMC is student friendly by offering flexible scheduling for working and non-traditional students through its quarter system (not semester);
- GMC is diverse and has been designated by the US Department of Education as an eligible “Predominantly Black Institution” with a student body that enrolls more than 40% African-American students; and,
- GMC is wide-reaching by providing military students, rural area students, and out of state students with opportunities to complete their degree through our Global Online College.
GMC is considered one of the best values in the state for students given the average yearly tuition rate of only $7,000. GMC is also a best value for the state; if GMC were funded at the same level as the USG schools, GMC would receive approximately $55M in funding, not the $3.5M it currently receives (an approx. annual savings of $51.5M for the state).