1098-T Tax Information
The 1098-T form reports the amount billed for qualified tuition and fees for the previous calendar year. The purpose of the 1098-T is to help students and/or tax professionals determine if a student is eligible for the Hope Scholarship Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit.
1098-T forms will be available each year by January 31st. Once the forms are available for download, students will receive a GMC student email notification.
Customer service is our goal; however, GMC cannot give tax advice or assist students, parents, or guardians in calculating tax credits.
Downloading/Printing the 1098-T Form
Click the Student Finance Self Service link.
- Enter your student username and password.
- Click Tax Information.
- Select the Tax Year 1098-T Statement to print.
- The 1098-T will display.
- In the upper right hand corner of the screen, students can choose to download or print the form.
Click here for detailed instructions on printing/viewing 1098-T.
Having Trouble Logging into Student Finance Self Service
Click the Getting Help Link or copy link https://accounts.gmc.cc.ga.us/ in your Internet Browser.
1098-T Boxes Defined
Box 1: Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses
The box will be blank. IRS allows educational institutions to choose whether to report payment received or amounts billed; GMC reports amounts billed.
Box 2: Amounts Billed for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses
Tuition and fees a student must pay to be enrolled at or attend an elgible education institution. Charges for Room, Board, Insurance, Medical Expenses (including student health fees) are not considered a Qualified Tuition/Related Expense.
*** Note: If a student pre-registered in Tax Year 2017, for a term beginning in January, 2018, Box 2 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January-March, 2018 and Box 7 will be checked.
Box 4: Adjustments Made for a Prior Year
An adjustment in prior year charges for qualified tuition and related expenses made during this calendar year. The adjustment could impact a tax credit for a prior year.
Box 5: Scholarships or Grants
Total Scholarships or Grants awarded to Qualfied Tuition and Fees. Per IRS Regulations, Loan funds are not recognized as a scholarship or grant.
Box 6: Adjustments to Scholarships or Grants for a Prior Year
An adjustment in prior year scholarships/grants made during this calendar year. The adjustment could impact a tax credit for a prior year.
The box is checked, if the amount in Box 2 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January-March, 2018.
GMC cannot give tax advice or assist students, parents, or guardians in calculating tax credits; however, GMC can provide information on how the 1098-T was calculated. Please submit the following 1098-T Information Requests to the GMC Resource Management Office at studentAR@gmc.edu:
- Questions concerning the 1098-T calculation. In the email, please state your question in detail. GMC can only answer questions related to how the form was prepared. GMC will only respond to the GMC student email address.
- Detail of Transactions on your GMC student account for the period 01/01/2017 to 12/31/2017.
- Email a 1098-T form - can only be emailed to the student’s GMC email address.
- Mail a 1098-T form - can only be mailed to the student’s address of record. Please allow 7 to 10 business days for GMC to process your request.
To protect the privacy of our students, all 1098-T correspondence will be emailed to the student’s GMC email address or mailed to the student’s address of record.
Withdrawing Consent to Receive 1098-T Electronically
During the Admissions application process, all students are required to accept GMC’s terms and conditions of enrollment. GMC’s Terms and Conditions of Enrollment state, “I consent to receive my annual IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement electronically from Georgia Military College. I understand I can withdraw this consent by following the instructions provided on the Georgia Military College’s 1098-T website link.”
In order to withdraw electronic consent, students must:
- Log into the GMC Student Finance Self Service portal Student Finance Self Service and change their 1098-T Preferences. Changes must be made prior to notification email.
Click here for detail instructions on Withdrawing Consent to Receive 1098-T Electronically.