Frequently Asked Questions



Question: How do I ask for Accommodations? Answer: A student requesting accommodations for a disability must complete the online intake application. The link to the online intake application is provided by Student Disability Services are determined on a case-by-case basis individual basis to each student from information collected during the verification process. Approved accommodations should not fundamentally alter program standards or essential functions of a course but should provide equal access to all programs and activities offered by Georgia Military College.

Question: What type of documentation is required?

Answer: There are three types of documentation.

1. Primary Documentation. The basis for the determination of accommodations will primarily be based on medical and/or psychological information reported by the student’s medical/psychological specialist who has expertise in the field of the student’s declared disability. This documentation must be signed by a specialist in that field. The date of the diagnosis must be within 36 months from the date of the application.

2. Secondary Documentation. Professional judgement of staff within Student Disability Services gathered during the interview or conversations with the student. This information will be gathered during the verification process in the interview with the student requesting accommodations conducted by the Manager of Student Disability Services. Information will included the student’s report of disability, current functioning, experiences of the disability, barriers, medication and impact, triggers or stressors, and a history of approved/used accommodations and effectiveness.

3. Tertiary Documentation. Third party documentation which may include IEP’s, 504 Plans, SOP’s, professional reports including Psychological, Psycho-Educational, evaluations developed for the student while they were in primary/secondary education. This type of documentation may support primary documentation to help better understand a student’s needs but if there is a conflict between primary and tertiary documentation, the Manager of Student Disability Services will rely on primary documentation only.

Question: Is it ever too late to apply for accommodations?

Answer: No. A student can apply for accommodations any time after they have applied and been accepted as a student at GMC.

Question: If I apply for accommodations late in the quarter and I am approved for accommodations within that quarter, are the accommodations retroactive back to the beginning of the quarter in my classes before I applied for the accommodations?

Answer: No. Although a student can apply for accommodations any time after they have become a student of GMC, they should understand that if they apply and are approved for accommodations late in the quarter, the accommodations are not retroactive back to the beginning of the quarter.

Question: If I receive accommodations, will they automatically apply to the next term?

Answer: No. It is the responsibility of the verified student to request accommodations each term if the accommodations are needed. The Office of Student Disability Services does not automatically implement accommodations each term. Students choosing to use accommodations should log in to their Accommodate account and submit their quarter request providing appropriate information.

Question: How can I request a change to an approved accommodation plan? 

Answer: Students who have been verified as eligible for accommodations may request additions to or deletions from their previously approved accommodations. Requests must be submitted in writing with a detailed description supporting the need for any changes. The Manager of Student Disability Services will review the request along with all documentation on file to determine any changes. Additional documentation or student interview may be required to facilitate any changes. Student Disability Services may also contact the student to gather more information about the reasons for the request.

Question: What is my request for accommodations is denied or partially denied?

Answer: Should the institution be unable to support the accommodation request because of insufficient documentation, or a request was denied and a reasonable and equally effective accommodation was offered, the student will receive a written letter explaining the denial or alternative accommodation. Students may appeal using first the informal appeal process and then the formal appeal process outlined below:

Level I: Informal Appeal • All questions regarding accommodations should begin at the lowest level with the campus disabilities coordinator within 5 working days upon receipt of the letter.

Level II: Formal Appeal • If unresolved, the student shall file a written appeal to the Campus Executive Director within 5 working days of a decision from the campus disabilities coordinator. A written appeal should include a description of the reason(s) for the appeal and any supporting information/documentation. • If still unresolved, the student may file a written appeal to the College Dean of Students within 5 working days of the Campus Executive Director’s decision. The Dean of Students t will provide a decision within 3 days of receipt of the written appeal. This decision will be final. • If the outcome of the appeal does not resolve the issue, students also have the right to further appeals of an institutional decision through external channels which would typically be done through filing a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights or a case through the civil system.