Student Advising Center
Academic advisement aims to facilitate the selection of courses that will be appropriate to individual student needs and goals. The advisement sessions provide an opportunity for the student to get professional assistance in the evaluation, selection, and accomplishment of the educational program that meets the academic, professional and personal goals of the student.
Each quarter there will be an opportunity for the student to meet with the academic advisor for registration for the next college term. Advising allows the student to pre-plan their academic schedule and to develop the best schedule of courses. Advisement is a cooperative effort that requires the guidance of the advisor and the acceptance of the student to achieve a timetable for completion of the education program best suited to the student's goals.
ADVISING CENTER HOURS:
- Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm (select evenings until 6:00pm)
To email an advising request please click here
ADVISING CENTER STAFF:
ACADEMIC ADVISING CHECKLIST
PREPARE FOR YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISING SESSION
- Check your portal to clarify your financial status (Financial Aid)
- Pay any fines (current or past due balances) to remove financial holds
- Define your career goals and select a course of study.
- Have a clear understanding of your scheduling limitations (work, travel, childcare, etc.)
GATHER RELEVANT DECISION-MAKING INFORMATION
- Obtain and read the Class Schedule and GMC Catalog.
- Research potential transfer institution requirements.
- Check your degree plan & bring it to your Advising session
COME EARLY- DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE
- Be aware of registration dates and deadlines.
- You do not need to wait until you finish this term to register for the next term.
- Registering late means you may compromise your schedule and degree plan.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions- write them down and bring them with you to your advising session.
- Advisors want to help you succeed. Let us know how we can assist you.
- Be prepared for the challenges and rewards of college.
- Expect to rise to the occasion of every challenge.
- Be actively responsible for your academic career.
- Talk to your professors if you are having difficulty with a class.
- Utilize the available tutoring center on campus.
- If your success in a class is uncertain, see an advisor so they can make suggestions and inform you of your options and potential academic SAP impacts.