GMC - News
character development,general interest,prep school
Georgia Military College to host Patriot Day Ceremony on Sept 11
Georgia Military College will host a poignant ceremony in recognition of Patriot Day on Friday, September 11, 2015. The community is invited to attend and participate in any portion of the day’s activities, outlined below.
• Morning Formation on Grant Parade
• Remarks by LtGen William B. Caldwell, IV, GMC President
• Laying of a wreath by three current GMC prep school students who have been directly affected by the lasting impact of September 11, 2001.
8:00 a.m. – until 2:30 p.m.
• “Memorial on the Bricks” at the north end of the Old Capitol Building
• GMC will record the names of 3,025 people whose lives were taken through the act of terrorism on 9/11, and the names of 6,816 who have given their lives trying to stop it from happening again.
• Each of GMC’s Prep School students will have the opportunity to record the names of their fellow Americans and spend a few moments in reflection.
• Names will be provided to all who wish to join GMC in remembering.
• Wreath escorted by GMC Prep School Color Guard and Battalion Staff to north entrance of the Old Capitol Building
• Echoing taps
• COL Fred Van Horn, USA (Ret.) will write the names of the four GMC graduates, Chad Mercer (JC 2000), Michael Stokely (JC 2002), Daniel Gomez (JC 2005) and Walter Gray (JC 1988) who lost their lives in the war on terror.
• GMC Prep School Football vs. Mount de Sales Academy on Davenport Field
• First responders who attend in uniform will be given free admission to the game and will be recognized for their contributions to our community before kick-off.