Community Service Opportunities
Welcome! Are you interested in community service? Looking for a way to get involved in both the campus and the community? Seeking a way to link your faith with your desire to serve? At Campus Ministry, we offer a variety of ways in which you can get involved!
Our community service program reflects and enhances the University's commitment to the Mercy tradition of service to society. Our goal is to connect the talents of Gwynedd Mercy University students with people in need in our wider community, as well as to offer students opportunities to reflect on their experience of service. All students, regardless of faith background, are encouraged to explore the opportunities below.
Don't see what you're looking for? Contact Campus Minister Lauren DuCharme, firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-641-5592.
Get to Know the Team!
We are grateful to our wonderful student leaders for coordinating weekly service:
- Kathleen Carroll, Yaa Okwaning, Carol Patton, Amy Schneider & Sean Welch
Our local volunteer opportunities reflect the Critical Concerns of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas.
- Mercy Mentors (Ambler): Mondays and Tuesdays, 5-7 p.m.
Weekly group mentoring at The Villa in Ambler for youth who demonstrated a history of truancy, emotional trauma, family conflict and difficulties in the community. Please note that this is a semester-long commitment (one day per week). Transportation is provided. Contact Kathleen Carroll, email@example.com.
- Catholic Social Services (Norristown): Tuesdays 3-6 p.m. and Wednesdays 9-11 a.m.Motivated by its mission to serve the most vulnerable and at-risk members of our society, CSS offers a variety of community-based and residential programs and services to assist and support men, women and children living in Philadelphia and its four surrounding counties. Services daily touch the lives of immigrants, the homeless, womenin crisis, dependent or delinquent youth, senior citizens, and the developmentally disabled. Catholic Social Services provides hope and creates hope for people from every walk of life. Transportation to Montgomery County Family Services in Norristown is provided. Interested? Contact: Carol Anne Patton (Tuesdays), firstname.lastname@example.org or Yaa Okwaning (Wednesdays), email@example.com.
- Artman Lutheran Home (Ambler): Thursdays 11:30-2:30Artman offers Assisted Living, Short-term Rehabilitation, Skilled Nursing and Hospice care. Artman assists individuals to age gracefully through love, compassion and services that enhance independence. “As our residents’ needs change, they remain here - at home - in familiar surroundings and are cared for by dedicated professionals. Our staffing ratios exceed those mandated by the State, providing additional peace of mind for residents and their family members. We offer compassionate care close to home in a gracious setting. Whether celebrating a resident’s birthday or counseling a family in hospice, the Artman team cares.” Would you care to care? Contact Amy Schneider, firstname.lastname@example.org. Transportation is provided.
- Manna on Main Street (Lansdale): Fridays 3-6 p.m.
Students prepare and serve food at this soup Kitchen, and often stock the shelves in their food pantry. Interested? Contact Sean Welch: email@example.com. Transportation is provided.
- Zumba at Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School: Fridays 2:30 - 5 p.m.Come to Cristo Rey High School in Philly and be part of their health and wellness curriculum! We leave from Visitation House on Fridays at 2:30 pm, Zumba with students from 3-4, have a few moments to chat and get to know students, faculty and staff and then return to campus by 5 pm. This is a really unique opportunity to grow in partnership and solidarity with a new group of God’s people. Weekly commitment encouraged but not mandatory. But keep in mind--we have a blast! Interested? Please contact Lauren DuCharme: firstname.lastname@example.org 215.641.5592!
To find additional volunteer opportunities near Gwynedd Mercy University, you can contact agencies directly, view a map of our community partners or search a database of non-profits throughout Montgomery County, PA by visiting Info Link PA.
Campus Ministry offers service-immersion experiences during school breaks as part of Gwynedd Mercy University’s commitment to the Mercy tradition of service to society. Students, faculty and staff who participate in these experiences have a desire to:
- Be of service to others
- Learn more about economic poverty, diversity and social justice
- Grow in their spirituality
- Reflect on their experiences together as a community
- Strengthen their leadership qualities and commitment for the future
This year we are offtering break trips duing winter and spring break. Intrigued? Contact Lauren DuCharme at email@example.com or 215-641-5592.
Advent Service Retreat, December 16-19, Cranaleith Spiritual Center
After finals end, take a deep breath and come away to a beautiful location where you can decompress, reflect on the year past, prepare yourself mentally and spiritually for the Christmas break AND spend two days in service at Mercy Neighborhood Ministries in the Tioga section of North Philly. The Application (docx)is due on December 2; student cost is just $40 includes housing, meals and program.
Alternative Spring Break, March 1-8 (Dates may vary slightly)
We know you could be working, studying, sleeping or perhaps even lying in the sun somewhere, but we invite you to join a great annual tradition and consider an ALTERNATIVE spring break! Teams of students will travel to various locations around the country to volunteer in Mercy-sponsored ministries, learn about the Critical Concerns of Mercy, and reflect on their experience. The application (docx) is due on October 18; student cost is just $50 (payable in installments) and includes a significant commitment to fund-raising. (Speaking of which, mark your calendars now for ASB BINGO on March 21 in the GMercyU Gym!)
- Sisters of Mercy Institute Justice Team
- Mercy Global Action at the United Nations
- Mercy Beyond Borders
- Mercy Volunteer Corps
- Bread for the World
- Pax Christi
- Millennium Development Goals
- SOA Watch: Information about the School of the Americas
Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation: